San Francisco News
On-duty San Francisco firefighter arrested for DUI after crash
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- An on-duty San Francisco firefighter was arrested this weekend after the fire truck he was driving collided with a motorcycle. Police say that firefighter was drunk and then left the scene.
Michael Quinn is a 23-year veteran with the San Francisco Fire Department. His friends say he's never been in trouble before. In fact, he's a decorated firefighter. But on Saturday, his life took a turn.
In June of 2002, a fast-moving fire raced through the Baldwin Hotel in downtown San Francisco.
Veteran firefighter Quinn was one of the firefighters who received a Meritorious Service Award for rescuing 20 people.
Four years later, he won another award for rescuing a construction worker trapped in a building collapse.
Late Saturday night, with its siren and lights on, the fire truck he was driving responded to a call of smoke in a building south of Market, near 5th and Howard streets.
As he turned the truck, police say it hit a motorcycle. The rider was taken to San Francisco General Hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries.
Police say Quinn suddenly left the scene of the accident and disappeared for several hours before returning.
Fire investigators gave him a breathalyzer test, which showed an alcohol reading of .16, which is twice the legal limit. He was subsequently arrested.
Last month, the 43-year-old firefighter survived a 500-foot fall when his hang glider plunged into the waters near Fort Funston.
Police booked him for a DUI and leaving the scene of an accident.
A police source tells us that Quinn was "uncooperative" when they asked him to take their breathalyzer test. We're told he subsequently took a "blood" test.
And police are waiting for those results before submitting the case to the district attorney, possibly Tuesday.
Those who know Quinn say he's had a difficult year. A firefighter who knows him told ABC7 News that Quinn's mother and sister died within months of each other due to illnesses. And now, this.
sffd, soma, crash, driving, fire, DUI, alcohol, san francisco news, vic lee
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- Bay Area wakes up to frost as cold snap hits
- Crews call for reinforcements to find missing family
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- Obama, in speech, to focus on income disparities
- Broadband in schools gets boost from tech gurus
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Sketch released of suspect in violent robberies
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: Murder trial; Bank robbery arrest
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday