San Francisco News
Asiana Flight 214 survivor grateful for 2nd chance
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- One of the survivors of Saturday's Asiana 214 crash is a San Francisco man who jumped into action and helped get others off the plane.
Ben Levy says he has gone through a traumatic experience but doesn't feel traumatized. The 39-year-old survived the crash with severely bruised ribs.
"I didn't question why did I live through this. I, you know, I was actually extremely grateful that we were here sitting in that plane, injured but all alive," said Levy
Levy has taken the flight from Seoul, South Korea to his home in San Francisco before. He had a feeling the plane was too low just before the crash.
"Why are we so low? It just felt like we were, you know, I said that I, you know, 'too low, too soon.' And when the plane stops, it's like this moment where people stopped screaming actually. It's like this kind of, I don't want to call it white noise but it's like this surreal moment," he said.
Levy pushed the plane door out, helping others escape. He took pictures of the aftermath and says every day he has different feelings but no nightmares or tears.
Levy is back at work, but not back to work. It will take a while before life returns to normal.
"For now it's more like being so, you know, happy to be, you know, a few more years and hopefully a lifetime with my spouse; with my children," said Levy.
He says he knows it was not his time.
san francisco international airport, plane crash, Asiana Airlines crash, crash, san francisco news, carolyn tyler
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist 46 min ago
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
38 min ago