San Francisco News
Several injured in crash between Muni train, van in SF's Bayview
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Nearly two dozen people were rushed to the hospital after an accident involving a Muni light rail train and a van in San Francisco's Bayview District. Police are blaming the driver of the van for causing the crash.
It's a pretty busy Muni line. So when the crash happened, there were lots of people aboard. It all happened at 3rd Street and Evans Avenue just before 1 p.m. Saturday.
The view from SKY7 HD showed the train at rest on the tracks and a white van right next to it.
Investigators say the van was driving alongside the Muni train and hit it as the van's driver attempted to make a left turn in front of the train.
The driver of the van was transported to the hospital as a precaution.
About 19 people aboard the Muni train were taken to three area hospitals for minor injuries. People aboard described what happened.
"Yeah I was super scared," Raychelle Howard said. "I was really scared, I didn't know what it was, I just seen it come in so I had to hurry up and cover my baby."
"There's video on file on the Muni light rail vehicle as well as this particular intersection, it has a video monitor also," SFPD Sgt. William Murray said.
The crash affected the T-line for a couple hours. During that time, Muni used busses to shuttle passengers from downtown into this neighborhood. The train was hauled away a little before 4 p.m. Service to the T-line was restored about a half hour later.
bayview hunters point, muni, crash, children, transportation, traffic, SFPD, san francisco news
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach 20 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support 2 min ago
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos