San Francisco News
Sue Bierman Park opens near SF's Ferry Building
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The long-awaited Sue Bierman Park playground is now open near the San Francisco Ferry building on the Embarcadero.
Local activists and city leaders fought for the park that was delayed by a law that prohibited permanent structures on the site.
It's located on five acres of land that served as ramps for the former Embarcadero Freeway.
Families living in the area say the park's a welcome addition for a changing neighborhood.
Saturday's ribbon cutting ceremony was followed by a carnival and community play day.
embarcadero, san francisco news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Gay partner benefits growing at Fortune 500 firms
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- 18 Los Angeles sheriff's deputies face US charges 2 min ago
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela ceremony
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday 4 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday