San Francisco News
Reward increased for info about poisoned meatballs left in SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- A reward for information about suspects who left out hundreds of poisoned meatballs throughout San Francisco, leading to one dog's death last week, has risen to $5,000, a spokeswoman for the Animal Legal Defense Fund said.
The animal defense organization is teaming with VegNews Magazine and Yelp CEO Jeremy Stoppelman to offer the reward for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of perpetrators in the crime.
"The citizens of San Francisco are up in arms over this sadistic crime," Animal Legal Defense Fund Executive Director Stephen Wells said in a statement.
He said the group is hopeful that the increased reward money might prompt someone to come forward with information.
Police discovered the tainted meatballs in San Francisco's Diamond Heights and Twin Peaks neighborhoods earlier this month.
Police said the meatballs contained strychnine and believe they were left out in a malicious plan to kill dogs.
Oskar, a dachshund who ate one of the poisoned meatballs, died earlier this month, according to San Francisco Animal Care and Control spokeswoman Deb Campbell.
Anyone with information about the identity of the person or people responsible for distributing the meatballs is asked to call police or the Animal Legal Defense Fund at (707) 795-2533, ext. 1010.
diamond heights, cole valley, haight ashbury, animal, animals in peril, food, crime, san francisco news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos