San Francisco News
Thousands participate in annual AIDS Walk San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Millions of dollars were raised Sunday in San Francisco to help in the fight against HIV/AIDS. AIDS Walk San Francisco started in 1987, and ABC7 News has been a proud sponsor since 1988. The walk has grown to become the biggest HIV/AIDS fundraiser in the Bay Area.
On Sunday, 25,000 people joined together for the 10K through Golden Gate Park. Participants were able to see themselves on the ABC7 Jumbotron as they walked by Checkpoint 3. It was all streamed live on ABC7News.com.
"I'm here to support my brother, who passed away in 1995," participant Dan Jones said. "I'm here every year, and every year we just plug along until nobody has to anymore."
ABC7 News anchor Dan Ashley emceed for the 19th straight year in a row, reminding fundraisers that despite their progress, the fight is far from over.
"There is still today one HIV infection a day in San Francisco," he said. "Every day."
This landmark event benefits the San Francisco Aids Foundation and 28 Bay Area organizations that provide care and services for people living with HIV and AIDS; 16,000 of whom live in San Francisco.
This is the 27th year of the walk. And ABC7 News has been a proud sponsor for the last 26 years.
"We're out here today in force to salute all the people that are participating," said ABC7 President and General Manager William Burton. "It's our way of saying thank you to them for making a difference. So we're just proud to be part of today."
ABC7 News personalities cheered on walkers from Checkpoint 3, where our team interviewed fundraisers. And for the first time ever, walkers got to see themselves on our Jumbotron, and we broadcasted the event live on our website.
The day ended with a celebratory concert, headlined by Dan Ashley's band "Push."
Over the last 26 years, walkers at Aids Walk San Francisco have raised nearly $80 million. On Sunday alone, organizers tell me they raised $2.5 million.
AIDS, live stream, golden gate park, HIV, fundraiser, san francisco news
- Freeze Warning in effect for most of Bay Area
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for today 35 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos