San Francisco News
Thousands participate in annual AIDS Walk San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Millions of dollars were raised Sunday in San Francisco to help in the fight against HIV/AIDS. AIDS Walk San Francisco started in 1987, and ABC7 News has been a proud sponsor since 1988. The walk has grown to become the biggest HIV/AIDS fundraiser in the Bay Area.
On Sunday, 25,000 people joined together for the 10K through Golden Gate Park. Participants were able to see themselves on the ABC7 Jumbotron as they walked by Checkpoint 3. It was all streamed live on ABC7News.com.
"I'm here to support my brother, who passed away in 1995," participant Dan Jones said. "I'm here every year, and every year we just plug along until nobody has to anymore."
ABC7 News anchor Dan Ashley emceed for the 19th straight year in a row, reminding fundraisers that despite their progress, the fight is far from over.
"There is still today one HIV infection a day in San Francisco," he said. "Every day."
This landmark event benefits the San Francisco Aids Foundation and 28 Bay Area organizations that provide care and services for people living with HIV and AIDS; 16,000 of whom live in San Francisco.
This is the 27th year of the walk. And ABC7 News has been a proud sponsor for the last 26 years.
"We're out here today in force to salute all the people that are participating," said ABC7 President and General Manager William Burton. "It's our way of saying thank you to them for making a difference. So we're just proud to be part of today."
ABC7 News personalities cheered on walkers from Checkpoint 3, where our team interviewed fundraisers. And for the first time ever, walkers got to see themselves on our Jumbotron, and we broadcasted the event live on our website.
The day ended with a celebratory concert, headlined by Dan Ashley's band "Push."
Over the last 26 years, walkers at Aids Walk San Francisco have raised nearly $80 million. On Sunday alone, organizers tell me they raised $2.5 million.
AIDS, live stream, golden gate park, HIV, fundraiser, san francisco news
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 20 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos