San Francisco News
San Francisco parks to offer free Wi-Fi, thanks to Google
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco parks and plazas are getting a high-tech upgrade with the help of Google. Wednesday morning it was just announced the city will offer free Wi-Fi at 31 of its parks. It is stemming from a generous gift from Google; they are giving the city $600,000 to make it possible.
City officials point out that San Francisco is behind on this front, saying that cities like New York and Paris already have Wi-Fi in their parks. They say this will make it easier for people to spend more time in San Francisco's parks and enjoy them.
"Only will it further open up our parks and our city to innovation to education and inclusivity for all San Francisco residents, but it is also as I mentioned before, a significant step towards bridging our digital divide in our city. It provides local community groups and residents access to the Internet that they might not have had before," said San Francisco Supervisor Mark Farrell.
He points out that some Park and Recreation offices still use dialup connections, so when you register your family with the department, for instance, you will definitely appreciate this new efficiency.
Installation will start in December and expect it should be complete by the spring.
google, san francisco board of supervisors, laws, dolores park, civic center, san francisco news, amy hollyfield
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday