San Francisco News
San Francisco parks to offer free Wi-Fi, thanks to Google
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco parks and plazas are getting a high-tech upgrade with the help of Google. Wednesday morning it was just announced the city will offer free Wi-Fi at 31 of its parks. It is stemming from a generous gift from Google; they are giving the city $600,000 to make it possible.
City officials point out that San Francisco is behind on this front, saying that cities like New York and Paris already have Wi-Fi in their parks. They say this will make it easier for people to spend more time in San Francisco's parks and enjoy them.
"Only will it further open up our parks and our city to innovation to education and inclusivity for all San Francisco residents, but it is also as I mentioned before, a significant step towards bridging our digital divide in our city. It provides local community groups and residents access to the Internet that they might not have had before," said San Francisco Supervisor Mark Farrell.
He points out that some Park and Recreation offices still use dialup connections, so when you register your family with the department, for instance, you will definitely appreciate this new efficiency.
Installation will start in December and expect it should be complete by the spring.
google, san francisco board of supervisors, laws, dolores park, civic center, san francisco news, amy hollyfield
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Some stores offering last minute holiday...
25 min ago