San Francisco News
San Francisco hotel to offer Alcatraz inspired menu
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Want to eat like a mobster? The Hyatt Regency Embarcadero in San Francisco is rolling out an Alcatraz menu.
The meals are based on what inmates like Al Capone and Machine Gun Kelly actually ate while they were on The Rock.
But we're not talking goulash; inmates ate meals featuring meatloaf, baked halibut and broiled short ribs.
"Rumor has it they fed them well so that it would keep the peace in the island and they wouldn't cause any trouble," Hyatt Regency Chef Victor Litkewycz said. "A happy prisoner, I guess, would be a peaceful prisoner."
Diners can try the special menu at the hyatt regency during August. The meals will be served on prison trays.
The hotel also has a lobby display on Alcatraz's history and pictures of notorious inmates.
alcatraz, food, san francisco news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday