San Francisco News
Bison in SF's Golden Gate Park dies at the age of 30
SAN FRANCISCO -- The oldest of San Francisco's Golden Gate Park bison was euthanized Friday after a checkup determined she could no longer stand up, San Francisco Zoo officials said.
Zoo officials had been closely monitoring the 30-year-old bison for several months, and as of Wednesday she was still mobile and had a good appetite, according to zoo officials.
However, during her daily checkup Friday, it was determined that she could no longer lift herself.
The expected lifespan of bison is 25 years.
"Geriatric animals certainly need care and attention," said Graham Crawford, the zoo's chief of veterinary services.
"Her longevity can be attributed to the great care provided by her keepers," Crawford said.
There are eight bison remaining in the Golden Gate Park meadow, officials said. The City's Recreation and Parks Department maintains the meadow while the zoo provides daily care and veterinary services.
The bison that died today is one of the original descendants of a 1984 birthday present to former San Francisco Mayor Dianne Feinstein from her husband, Richard Blum.
Bison were first brought to Golden Gate Park in 1891, when they were on the brink of extinction. The herd gave birth to more than 100 calves as part of a national captive breeding program.
More than 200,000 bison now exist in the wild, and they are protected within Yellowstone National Park.
san francisco zoo, golden gate park, animal, animals in peril, san francisco news
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 13 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 22 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART,...
13 min ago