San Francisco News
SF Fountain Lady Ruth Asawa dies at 87
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco's 'Fountain Lady' Ruth Asawa has died at the age of 87.
The Japanese-American sculptor was known for her iconic works like her mermaid fountain in Ghirardelli Square and the bronze fountain at Union Square, which became part of a controversy when Apple announced it wanted to move it to expand its super-store.
Asawa co-founded an art program in 50 public San Francisco schools and founded the San Francisco High School of Arts.
In 2010, the school was renamed to the Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts
union square, san francisco news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting