San Francisco News
SF Fountain Lady Ruth Asawa dies at 87
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco's 'Fountain Lady' Ruth Asawa has died at the age of 87.
The Japanese-American sculptor was known for her iconic works like her mermaid fountain in Ghirardelli Square and the bronze fountain at Union Square, which became part of a controversy when Apple announced it wanted to move it to expand its super-store.
Asawa co-founded an art program in 50 public San Francisco schools and founded the San Francisco High School of Arts.
In 2010, the school was renamed to the Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts
union square, san francisco news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area 4 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- 7 LA sheriff's deputies arrested in jail probe
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela ceremony 11 min ago
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial 16 min ago
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings 25 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela...
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos