San Francisco News
Cyclist sentenced for San Francisco pedestrian death
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A bicyclist who struck and killed a 71-year-old man in San Francisco last year was sentenced Thursday. According to the district attorney, it was the first conviction of its kind in the country.
On the morning of March 29, 2012, Chris Bucchere was riding down Castro Street and crossed Market Street when he ran a stop sign and multiple red lights before striking 71-year-old Sutchi Hui in the crosswalk, prosecutors said. Hui was taken to a hospital where he died four days later.
Police said security video taken from a nearby bar showed Bucherre going at a good clip, hitting Hui straight on.
Bucchere Thursday was sentenced to three years' probation and 1,000 hours of community service for felony vehicular manslaughter. There will be no jail time.
Bucherre was silent both in and out of the courtroom. He offered no regrets or public apology to the victim's family.
"If we all seeked revenge for wrongs that people have done to us, an eye for an eye, we'd all be blind," Sutchi Hui's son Terry Hui said.
Terry Hui and his family were magnanimous in their humanity. They supported the plea deal reached by the district attorney and Bucherre.
Hui said that's what his father would have wanted.
"He always told us to give people a second chance no matter what happened because that's what makes society civil," he said.
Terry Hui said the family wanted to give Bucherre a chance during his community service to become a better person.
"We hope he'll go out and assist the elderly, use that time to build housing for the less fortunate," he said. "To assist people with traumatic head injuries because that's something my father would have dealt with if he survived."
District Attorney George Gascon hopes the conviction will send a message across the board.
"Regardless of whether you're riding a bike, driving a vehicle or walking, we all have shared responsibilities for safety in our community," he said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
castro, crime, george gascon, crash, bikes, pedestrian struck, san francisco news, vic lee
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- NKorea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle as a traitor
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- 'SNL' plans to add black female cast member 42 min ago
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual
- Cal Poly finds frat party didn't violate policies
- FCC considers lifting ban on in-flight cellphone use
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop"
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday 12 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
13 min ago