San Francisco News
Dozens cited after CCSF protest at SF City Hall
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco City College students are calling on Mayor Ed Lee to support them in their fight to keep the school's accreditation. Protestors marched on city hall Tuesday, but ran into trouble when they refused to leave.
About 20-30 protesters were put in handcuffs by sheriff deputies. Many of the protesters are CCSF students and they were cited and released at about 12:45 a.m. They were part of a group of 100 protesters that rallied on the steps of city hall last night before they staged a sit-in in front Mayor Lee's office. They are demanding that the mayor take a public stand to help CCSF keep its accreditation, which it is scheduled to lose next summer.
"It is unclear as to why the mayor won't be even willing to meet with the students -- so collectively it was decided we would wait -- hoping the mayor will listen to us and meet our demands, but instead he calls the police to arrest us," said CCSF student Eric Blanc.
The protesters demanded the mayor publicly support the dropping of sanctions by the accreditation committee and fire the special trustee appointed by the state.
Two supporters of CCSF went to where the mayor was at an event honoring the civil rights movement. They held up signs as Lee was speaking at the University of San Francisco -- encouraging him to support overturning the accreditation decision. They complied with a request to stand off to the side of the room.
san francisco city hall, san francisco city college, ed lee, budget cuts, teachers, unions, tuition, san francisco news, matt keller
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight 52 min ago
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael 1 min ago
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions 15 min ago
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
42 min ago