San Francisco News
SFSU packed with students and parents for move-in day
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Thursday was move-in day at San Francisco State University, where incoming students said hello to new roommates and goodbye to parents.
In dorm rooms across the campus there were parents like Cheryl and Patrick Ordonez who were looking for one last thing to do.
"I can still see her walking into kindergarten like yesterday," Cheryl said.
Except that now her daughter Veronica is in the back getting to know her new roommate Shannon.
And this is why move-in day for kids, is like moving on day for their parents.
When asked if they're ready to be empty nesters, Patrick replied, "no," while Cheryl said, "Not really. We're going to figure it out."
The scene at San Francisco State was much the same as at any college or university -- kids who worked hard to here and parents working hard to pay for it.
At San Francisco State this year fees have actually rolled back because of Proposition 30, but it's still expensive. The average cost for four years is $25,000. Add room and board and you're looking at more than $30,000 for a four-year degree.
"In the good old days, the state of California covered most of the costs," said Vice President of Student Affairs Jo Volkert.
But now it's mom and dad, the same folks you see here who helped their kids over pack and then squeeze all that stuff into their new homes away from home.
SFSU, teachers, san francisco news, wayne freedman
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
57 min ago
- Journals show students' despair, hope
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos