San Francisco News
Woman run over by city truck in San Francisco dies
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A woman who was apparently sunbathing with her child and her dog in a San Francisco park has died after a hit-and-run involving a city truck.
The woman has been ID'd as 35-year-old Daly City resident Christine Svanemyr.
The incident happened just after 2 p.m. Thursday at Holly Park in the city's Bernal Heights District.
It is a very tight knit community, so people in the neighborhood were shocked and saddened to hear that a woman was hit and killed. By Thursday evening, a memorial of flowers had been set up at the park where she was struck.
A witness tells ABC7 News that the truck was driving across the grass, which was very busy at the time, and then ran over Svanemyr who was sunbathing with her child and dog nearby.
Svanemyr was transported to San Francisco General Hospital with life-threatening injuries where she later died. The child and dog were not hurt.
The driver of a green Parks Department vehicle took off after the incident but was later found and detained by police at Crescent and Agnon avenues. The driver has been arrested on suspicion of felony hit and run.
Neighbors say that parks vehicles are always here and it's a big problem with people driving on the grass.
"Bound to happen, I'm surprised that we haven't had more dogs run over because some people let their dogs run loose," neighbor Patricia Leach said.
Leach has lived here since the 1950s and says it's a huge problem. She hopes there will be some sort of policy change in the future because the park is way too busy to have vehicles driving on it.
Supervisor David Campos said he was not aware of the concern but promises a thorough investigation.
"At the end of the day we want to make sure that our citizens are safe and that they can enjoy parks and rec space in a safe manner," he said.
hit and run, san francisco general hospital, children, animal, san francisco news, ama daetz
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Little girl writes letter to store after breaking ornament
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos