San Francisco News
Man found unconscious in Union Square dies
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man who authorities initially had trouble identifying after he was found unconscious this weekend near San Francisco's Union Square died Sunday as a result of his injuries, San Francisco General Hospital officials said Monday.
Manuel Gallegos, 43, of Fremont, was found at about 5 a.m. Saturday with head injuries that suggested some sort of fall, hospital spokeswoman Rachael Kagan said.
His identity was initially a mystery, and hospital officials and San Francisco sheriff's deputies released photos of him in his hospital bed and asked for the public's help in learning his name.
After the public outreach, a relative of Gallegos came forward Sunday night and identified him, Kagan said. He died at the hospital that day.
Gallegos will be an organ donor, according to Kagan.
More information on becoming a donor can be found on the California Transplant Donor Network's website at www.ctdn.org.
san francisco general hospital, san francisco news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 43 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Two killed in residential fire in San Francisco 6 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York 59 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Consumer Reports evaluates best toilet papers
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos