San Francisco News
Man found unconscious in Union Square dies
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man who authorities initially had trouble identifying after he was found unconscious this weekend near San Francisco's Union Square died Sunday as a result of his injuries, San Francisco General Hospital officials said Monday.
Manuel Gallegos, 43, of Fremont, was found at about 5 a.m. Saturday with head injuries that suggested some sort of fall, hospital spokeswoman Rachael Kagan said.
His identity was initially a mystery, and hospital officials and San Francisco sheriff's deputies released photos of him in his hospital bed and asked for the public's help in learning his name.
After the public outreach, a relative of Gallegos came forward Sunday night and identified him, Kagan said. He died at the hospital that day.
Gallegos will be an organ donor, according to Kagan.
More information on becoming a donor can be found on the California Transplant Donor Network's website at www.ctdn.org.
san francisco general hospital, san francisco news
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Freeze Warning in place for most of the Bay Area
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Deputy who fatally shot Andy Lopez to return to work
- 5 displaced in two-alarm apartment fire in Alameda
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday