San Francisco News
SF city worker apologizes for running woman over at park
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The San Francisco Recreation and Park worker who ran over a woman with a city maintenance truck has issued a statement apologizing for what happened.
Christine Svanemyr, 35, was killed last Thursday as she relaxed on the grass at Holly Park in Bernal Heights. Her 11-month-old daughter and the family dog were with her, though they were not physically injured.
Police say the driver, 57-year-old city gardener Thomas Burnoski, took off. He was arrested nearby.
Burnoski released a lengthy statement to ABC7 News through his attorney Thursday evening.
It reads, "My family and I wish to express our profound sorrow to the family of Christine Svanemyr and her community of friends. My actions caused the death of this person and there is nothing I can do to bring her back. I am absolutely devastated by this tragic accident. Mere words can never convey what I and my family feel, knowing that a child will grow up without her mother, and that Mr. Svanemyr faces parenting alone, in shock, bewilderment, and immeasurable grief. Nothing we can say or do can ever adequately address the long-term sorrowful challenge that those left behind will have to face.
Burnoski is facing vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run charges.
hit and run, san francisco general hospital, children, animal, crime, san francisco news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 10 min ago
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos