San Francisco News
SF city worker apologizes for running woman over at park
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The San Francisco Recreation and Park worker who ran over a woman with a city maintenance truck has issued a statement apologizing for what happened.
Christine Svanemyr, 35, was killed last Thursday as she relaxed on the grass at Holly Park in Bernal Heights. Her 11-month-old daughter and the family dog were with her, though they were not physically injured.
Police say the driver, 57-year-old city gardener Thomas Burnoski, took off. He was arrested nearby.
Burnoski released a lengthy statement to ABC7 News through his attorney Thursday evening.
It reads, "My family and I wish to express our profound sorrow to the family of Christine Svanemyr and her community of friends. My actions caused the death of this person and there is nothing I can do to bring her back. I am absolutely devastated by this tragic accident. Mere words can never convey what I and my family feel, knowing that a child will grow up without her mother, and that Mr. Svanemyr faces parenting alone, in shock, bewilderment, and immeasurable grief. Nothing we can say or do can ever adequately address the long-term sorrowful challenge that those left behind will have to face.
Burnoski is facing vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run charges.
hit and run, san francisco general hospital, children, animal, crime, san francisco news
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36 52 min ago
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 18 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland 31 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage 52 min ago
- Brentwood police investigate armed robbery spree
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster...
52 min ago