San Francisco News
SF city worker apologizes for running woman over at park
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The San Francisco Recreation and Park worker who ran over a woman with a city maintenance truck has issued a statement apologizing for what happened.
Christine Svanemyr, 35, was killed last Thursday as she relaxed on the grass at Holly Park in Bernal Heights. Her 11-month-old daughter and the family dog were with her, though they were not physically injured.
Police say the driver, 57-year-old city gardener Thomas Burnoski, took off. He was arrested nearby.
Burnoski released a lengthy statement to ABC7 News through his attorney Thursday evening.
It reads, "My family and I wish to express our profound sorrow to the family of Christine Svanemyr and her community of friends. My actions caused the death of this person and there is nothing I can do to bring her back. I am absolutely devastated by this tragic accident. Mere words can never convey what I and my family feel, knowing that a child will grow up without her mother, and that Mr. Svanemyr faces parenting alone, in shock, bewilderment, and immeasurable grief. Nothing we can say or do can ever adequately address the long-term sorrowful challenge that those left behind will have to face.
Burnoski is facing vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run charges.
hit and run, san francisco general hospital, children, animal, crime, san francisco news
- Protesters vacate CCSF building, head to city hall
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building 23 min ago
- Manhunt on for Bay Area ATM robber
- Oakland considers dropping ShotSpotter technology
- Outkast, The Cure to headline BottleRock in Napa 39 min ago
- CDC reports rare woman-to-woman HIV transmission
- Overnight stays come to Winchester Mystery House
- Gorilla delivered via rare C-section at San Diego Zoo
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos