San Francisco News
Coit Tower celebrates 80 years atop Telegraph Hill
SAN FRANCISCO -- A cool breeze welcomed community members and tourists gathered atop Coit Tower in San Francisco Tuesday morning in celebration of its 80th birthday.
The tower, which opened on Oct. 8, 1933, was funded by Lillie Hitchcock Coit, who left a third of her estate to build the structure.
Susie Coit Williams, Coit's cousin, was at the iconic site for Tuesday's celebration.
Williams, who now lives in Texas, said she visits Coit Tower at least once a year and has done so since she was a child.
Her father, who has since passed away, was in the U.S. Navy and emphasized the family's value of public service, she said.
"I'm so honored and so in awe," she said. "As long as I can keep coming here I will."
San Francisco firefighter Peter Arnautoff, grandson of Coit Tower muralist Victor Arnautoff, reflected on the tower's landmark birthday.
"It's so special to be able to have this family connection that has so much meaning to San Francisco and the Fire Department," he said.
Coit had been a well-known volunteer firefighter in the city despite her gender in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
The elder Arnautoff created a mural titled, "City Life," which depicts a bustling urban scene, located on the east side of the tower.
While Coit Tower is a great lookout point, Peter Arnautoff jokingly noted that the trees surrounding the landmark could use some trimming.
A birthday party and art show for the tower is scheduled Tuesday night at the North Beach venue Live Worms Art Gallery at 6 p.m.
Work by the original Coit Tower muralist and art inspired by the landmark will be on display.
coit tower, san francisco news
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday