San Francisco News
Coit Tower celebrates 80 years atop Telegraph Hill
SAN FRANCISCO -- A cool breeze welcomed community members and tourists gathered atop Coit Tower in San Francisco Tuesday morning in celebration of its 80th birthday.
The tower, which opened on Oct. 8, 1933, was funded by Lillie Hitchcock Coit, who left a third of her estate to build the structure.
Susie Coit Williams, Coit's cousin, was at the iconic site for Tuesday's celebration.
Williams, who now lives in Texas, said she visits Coit Tower at least once a year and has done so since she was a child.
Her father, who has since passed away, was in the U.S. Navy and emphasized the family's value of public service, she said.
"I'm so honored and so in awe," she said. "As long as I can keep coming here I will."
San Francisco firefighter Peter Arnautoff, grandson of Coit Tower muralist Victor Arnautoff, reflected on the tower's landmark birthday.
"It's so special to be able to have this family connection that has so much meaning to San Francisco and the Fire Department," he said.
Coit had been a well-known volunteer firefighter in the city despite her gender in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
The elder Arnautoff created a mural titled, "City Life," which depicts a bustling urban scene, located on the east side of the tower.
While Coit Tower is a great lookout point, Peter Arnautoff jokingly noted that the trees surrounding the landmark could use some trimming.
A birthday party and art show for the tower is scheduled Tuesday night at the North Beach venue Live Worms Art Gallery at 6 p.m.
Work by the original Coit Tower muralist and art inspired by the landmark will be on display.
coit tower, san francisco news
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine 57 min ago
- Officials investigate cause of house fire
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 43 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos