San Francisco News
Bicyclist struck, killed by Muni bus in SOMA
SAN FRANCISCO -- An intersection in San Francisco's South of Market neighborhood remained closed late this morning after a male bicyclist was fatally struck by a San Francisco Municipal Railway bus, a Muni spokesman said.
The bicyclist was hit by an outbound 27-Bryant bus that was turning onto Bryant Street near 11th Street around 8:40 a.m., Muni spokesman Paul Rose said.
The cyclist was pronounced dead at the scene.
There were about three dozen passengers on board the bus. No injuries to passengers were reported, Rose said.
The passengers were transported to another bus, while the driver was held for questioning, he said.
The operator will be placed on non-driving status and undergo testing for drugs and alcohol, as is normal procedure in accidents, Rose said.
Muni transportation director Ed Reiskin issued a statement this morning expressing his condolences for the death.
"Speaking for the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency and its 5,000 employees, I express our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of the person killed near Bryant and Division streets in the tragic accident this morning involving a Muni bus," Reiskin said.
The intersection remained closed as of 11:30 a.m.
The 27-Bryant, 47-Van Ness and 9-San Bruno bus lines were being re-routed around the fatal accident, Rose said.
soma, muni, transportation, crash, bikes, san francisco news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 9 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US 32 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- California criminal behind 3-strikes law arrested
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency 56 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 5 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case