San Francisco News
Source: Worker saw unconscious woman in SF General stairwell
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The family of a woman whose body was found at San Francisco General Hospital weeks after she went missing, responded Monday to a report that an employee saw an unconscious woman -- presumably Lynne Spalding -- lying at a stairwell one week before her body was discovered.
Spalding's body was found Oct. 8 in a stairwell at San Francisco General Hospital. She was reported missing from her bed almost two and a half weeks earlier. At the time, Spalding was being treated for an infection.
Now, a reliable source tells ABC7 News that one week before Spalding's body was discovered, a hospital worker saw a woman, who appeared to be unconscious, lying at the same stairwell and that he stepped over her twice.
Spalding's family is outraged about the new revelation.
"I think what this tells us is what didn't happen in the hospital," family spokesperson David Perry said. "What should have happened, immediate care and assistance for someone who's laying on a stairwell."
According to ABC7's source, the hospital employee told a nurse what he had seen and that the nurse than contacted the sheriff's department, which provides security at the hospital. It's unclear whether a deputy responded to that call and physically checked the stairwell. It's also unknown whether Spalding was still alive when the orderly found her.
The sheriff's office declined to comment on the report, saying the investigation was still ongoing.
The hospital released a statement that said: "It is committed to finding out exactly what happened so that it will never happen again."
The cause of Spalding's death has not been determined, but authorities do not suspect foul play.
san francisco general hospital, missing person, san francisco news, vic lee
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast 42 min ago
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners 49 min ago
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos