San Francisco News
Source: Worker saw unconscious woman in SF General stairwell
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The family of a woman whose body was found at San Francisco General Hospital weeks after she went missing, responded Monday to a report that an employee saw an unconscious woman -- presumably Lynne Spalding -- lying at a stairwell one week before her body was discovered.
Spalding's body was found Oct. 8 in a stairwell at San Francisco General Hospital. She was reported missing from her bed almost two and a half weeks earlier. At the time, Spalding was being treated for an infection.
Now, a reliable source tells ABC7 News that one week before Spalding's body was discovered, a hospital worker saw a woman, who appeared to be unconscious, lying at the same stairwell and that he stepped over her twice.
Spalding's family is outraged about the new revelation.
"I think what this tells us is what didn't happen in the hospital," family spokesperson David Perry said. "What should have happened, immediate care and assistance for someone who's laying on a stairwell."
According to ABC7's source, the hospital employee told a nurse what he had seen and that the nurse than contacted the sheriff's department, which provides security at the hospital. It's unclear whether a deputy responded to that call and physically checked the stairwell. It's also unknown whether Spalding was still alive when the orderly found her.
The sheriff's office declined to comment on the report, saying the investigation was still ongoing.
The hospital released a statement that said: "It is committed to finding out exactly what happened so that it will never happen again."
The cause of Spalding's death has not been determined, but authorities do not suspect foul play.
san francisco general hospital, missing person, san francisco news, vic lee
- 6.9 quake rattles off the Northern California coast 41 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 25 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos