San Francisco News
Ai Weiwei planning art exhibition on Alcatraz
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A celebrated Chinese artist and political dissident is planning a major art exhibition on Alcatraz.
Ai Wewei is currently working with the National Park Service and other local agencies to get approval for the project. If it's approved, the show could open sometime in Fall 2014.
So far, there's very little information about what exactly the artist is planning to show at the former prison.
The artist himself was jailed by Chinese authorities in 2011. He's made several art pieces about his time in prison.
art, alcatraz, san francisco news
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Hydrants painted to mark contributions to 1906 fires
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed