San Francisco News
Subcommittee meets on CPUC safety oversight
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A state Senate subcommittee is holding a hearing in San Francisco to look into how the California Public Utilities Commission can improve safety oversight of utilities.
The hearing by the subcommittee on Gas and Electric Infrastructure Safety is chaired by Peninsula State Sen. Jerry Hill.
The hearing is just one of many across a number of government bodies since the San Bruno PG&E pipeline explosion three years ago where eight people were killed and 38 homes destroyed. That accident exposed failures and weaknesses in the safety systems at PG&E and the CPUC. This hearing is part of the ongoing process to correct them.
CPUC Commissioner Mike Florio told the legislators that they need more people and better training to do a better job and that a return to so-called "zero-based" budget planning should help. It's a system where the budget is built from scratch, rather than based on the prior year.
San Bruno City Manager Connie Jackson says she hopes an independent monitor will be created to watch over the CPUC on safety. That could require legislation.
The subcommittee has asked for a status report on changes at the CPUC in several months.
california public utilities commission, PG&E, jerry hill, san bruno fire, san francisco news, heather ishimaru
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest 16 min ago
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 58 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law
- Brentwood police investigate armed robbery spree
- California regulators propose coyote-killing ban
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday