San Francisco News
Subcommittee meets on CPUC safety oversight
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A state Senate subcommittee is holding a hearing in San Francisco to look into how the California Public Utilities Commission can improve safety oversight of utilities.
The hearing by the subcommittee on Gas and Electric Infrastructure Safety is chaired by Peninsula State Sen. Jerry Hill.
The hearing is just one of many across a number of government bodies since the San Bruno PG&E pipeline explosion three years ago where eight people were killed and 38 homes destroyed. That accident exposed failures and weaknesses in the safety systems at PG&E and the CPUC. This hearing is part of the ongoing process to correct them.
CPUC Commissioner Mike Florio told the legislators that they need more people and better training to do a better job and that a return to so-called "zero-based" budget planning should help. It's a system where the budget is built from scratch, rather than based on the prior year.
San Bruno City Manager Connie Jackson says she hopes an independent monitor will be created to watch over the CPUC on safety. That could require legislation.
The subcommittee has asked for a status report on changes at the CPUC in several months.
california public utilities commission, PG&E, jerry hill, san bruno fire, san francisco news, heather ishimaru
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 30 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- FREE STUFF: Sour Flour; Kevel Fly Ties
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Tips for spotting counterfeit bills
21 min ago