San Francisco News
SF police arrest suspect in brutal dog killing, robbery
SAN FRANCISCO -- Police this week arrested a man who has been wanted for nearly a year for the death of a woman's dog in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood.
Laurice Barrett, 36, of South San Francisco, was arrested Wednesday in Vallejo by a team from the U.S. Marshals Service, who had partnered with San Francisco police in the search for the suspect.
The incident occurred around 5 p.m. on Dec. 28, 2012, in the first block of Leavenworth Street.A 30-year-old woman had pulled over in the area to look for her cellphone. She got out of her car and walked to the passenger-side door when Barrett allegedly approached and grabbed her shirt while demanding money, according to police.
The victim's dog seated in the car started barking and Barrett allegedly reached into the car, grabbed the dog by the collar and pulled it out.
He then threw the dog onto the street and ran away, police said.
Surveillance footage captured the suspect, believed to be Barrett, running away from the scene. Investigators used those images to identify Barrett as the alleged suspect about a month later, according to police.
The victim took the injured pooch to a veterinarian but the dog ultimately died.
Barrett had managed to elude authorities until Wednesday when a team found him in an apartment in Vallejo. He was arrested on suspicion of robbery, animal cruelty and a probation warrant and was booked into San Francisco County Jail, police said.
tenderloin, animal, animals in peril, crime, reward, san francisco news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday