San Francisco News
Mayor Ed Lee leaving for trade mission India
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is headed today on a trade mission to India, just days after returning from a similar trip to China.
Lee will be part of a delegation headed to Bangalore, India, to meet with government and business leaders as part of the San Francisco-Bangalore Sister City Initiative.
The mayor recently returned from a trip to China, where he said he agreed to two new sister-city partnerships.
Lee spoke to reporters in San Francisco earlier this week and shot down rumors that his overseas trips might presage a move to be the new U.S. ambassador to China after current ambassador Gary Locke announced earlier this month that he was stepping down from the post.
"I'm not interested in being the ambassador to China," Lee said.
"I'm 100 percent on the job as the mayor of San Francisco," he said.
Lee, who also traveled overseas to Ireland and France earlier this year, said that the obligations of being the mayor of an international city like San Francisco "is going to fulfill any interest I have in being part of any international conversation."
The mayor's trip to India is scheduled through Dec. 5.
ed lee, san francisco news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 23 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
24 min ago