San Francisco News
Mayor Ed Lee leaving for trade mission India
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is headed today on a trade mission to India, just days after returning from a similar trip to China.
Lee will be part of a delegation headed to Bangalore, India, to meet with government and business leaders as part of the San Francisco-Bangalore Sister City Initiative.
The mayor recently returned from a trip to China, where he said he agreed to two new sister-city partnerships.
Lee spoke to reporters in San Francisco earlier this week and shot down rumors that his overseas trips might presage a move to be the new U.S. ambassador to China after current ambassador Gary Locke announced earlier this month that he was stepping down from the post.
"I'm not interested in being the ambassador to China," Lee said.
"I'm 100 percent on the job as the mayor of San Francisco," he said.
Lee, who also traveled overseas to Ireland and France earlier this year, said that the obligations of being the mayor of an international city like San Francisco "is going to fulfill any interest I have in being part of any international conversation."
The mayor's trip to India is scheduled through Dec. 5.
ed lee, san francisco news
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- Strong winds destroy boats at Oyster Point
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Best methods for brewing coffee at home
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos