San Francisco News
Elderly woman punched, seriously hurt in SF purse snatching
SAN FRANCISCO -- An elderly woman was seriously injured in a purse snatching in San Francisco's Western Addition neighborhood early Wednesday morning, police said Thursday.
The robbery and attack was reported at about 5:30 a.m. near McAllister and Webster streets.
The 71-year-old woman was approached by a male suspect who tried to steal her purse. After a struggle, the suspect punched the woman, causing brain bleeding, a contusion and lacerations to her face, police said.
She was taken to San Francisco General Hospital to be treated for the injuries, which are considered life-threatening, according to police.
The suspect fled with the purse and had not been found as of Thursday morning, police said.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Police Department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or to send a tip by text message to TIP411 with "SFPD" in the message.
western addition, seniors, crime, violence, san francisco news
- Protesters vacate CCSF building, head to city hall
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Manhunt on for Bay Area ATM robber
- Oakland considers dropping ShotSpotter technology
- Outkast, The Cure to headline BottleRock in Napa 3 min ago
- CDC reports rare woman-to-woman HIV transmission
- Overnight stays come to Winchester Mystery House 54 min ago
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Gorilla delivered via rare C-section at San Diego Zoo
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos