San Francisco News
Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police are investigating a fatal accident in the Tenderloin this morning. A garbage truck backed up into an elderly man, killing him.
The accident happened at 7:40 a.m. on Jones and Antonio streets, just south of O'Farrell Street.
The man was stepping off the sidewalk when he was struck by the garbage truck. There is a surveillance camera in the area which will be a key piece of evidence in this investigation.
Police are trying to determine if the pedestrian could hear if the truck that was backing up.
"It is supposed to be equipped with a beeper and our investigation will be to inspect all mechanical systems on the vehicle," said San Francisco Police Dept. Sgt. Eric Mahoney.
"Our thoughts go out to the family members of the deceased. We are fully cooperating with the police investigation. We take safety very, very seriously. We have safety officers on the scene," said Recology spokesperson Robert Reed.
There have been a series of fatal accidents involving Recology trucks and this is the third in San Francisco this year. This past May in the Mission District a 21-year-old bicyclist was killed when he was hit and dragged. Last month a woman was entering the freeway off of 7th Street when a truck hit her vehicle and she was killed.
tenderloin, san francisco news
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 25 min ago
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 10 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years 14 min ago
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Body found at dump; Bicycle Share expansion
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
25 min ago