San Francisco News
Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police are investigating a fatal accident in the Tenderloin this morning. A garbage truck backed up into an elderly man, killing him.
The accident happened at 7:40 a.m. on Jones and Antonio streets, just south of O'Farrell Street.
The man was stepping off the sidewalk when he was struck by the garbage truck. There is a surveillance camera in the area which will be a key piece of evidence in this investigation.
Police are trying to determine if the pedestrian could hear if the truck that was backing up.
"It is supposed to be equipped with a beeper and our investigation will be to inspect all mechanical systems on the vehicle," said San Francisco Police Dept. Sgt. Eric Mahoney.
"Our thoughts go out to the family members of the deceased. We are fully cooperating with the police investigation. We take safety very, very seriously. We have safety officers on the scene," said Recology spokesperson Robert Reed.
There have been a series of fatal accidents involving Recology trucks and this is the third in San Francisco this year. This past May in the Mission District a 21-year-old bicyclist was killed when he was hit and dragged. Last month a woman was entering the freeway off of 7th Street when a truck hit her vehicle and she was killed.
tenderloin, san francisco news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 17 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 52 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos