San Francisco News
Thousands of UPS packages to arrive late for Christmas
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- When it comes to getting packages to your house by Christmas, Santa won't let you down, but it looks like UPS is going to. The company is taking heat for some serious delays.
A lot of customers showed up at the UPS center on San Bruno Avenue in San Francisco on Christmas Eve.
UPS trucks have been swarming back to headquarters with a lot of holiday and non-holiday deliveries. UPS says demand was greater than expected and that air delivery got so gummed up, many gifts will not be under the tree, but stuck in a warehouse somewhere.
Drivers have good cheer, but not all of the gifts that were supposed to be delivered by Christmas morning. UPS says for the first time it got swamped by an overwhelming number of packages.
Julie Strachan showed up at the UPS customer center in San Francisco hoping for the best. She told us, "I was expecting my husband's big Christmas gift at my office and today is the last day before Christmas so I waited around for hours and hours hoping for it to show up and it never did."
So in Strachan went to see if the present she bought was there. She's not alone. UPS says thousands of packages across the country won't make it in time for the holiday. The company blames a surge in e-commerce orders. As well as an ice storm in the south that hit as the shipping rush began. Texas residents found their packages being held hostage.
"It's terribly disappointing because we ordered these things on December 1st," said one Texas resident.
Strachan ended up leaving the UPS center empty handed. She said, "I definitely paid a little bit more to expedite the shipment for Christmas so a little bit disappointing, but she was really nice and everybody was very helpful with me. So it is what it is."
There may be one consolation -- UPS says it will honor service guarantees for air and international deliveries, which may include refunds.
UPS, holiday, christmas, internet, shopping, san francisco news
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 45 min ago
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- SF burger joint open nearly 50 years about to close
- Sunday marks anniversary of Sierra LaMar's disappearance
- Police conduct statewide underage drinking sting
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco 35 min ago
- Person stabbed during fight at SF's Dolores Park
- Campaign to save dog in Arizona mauling case
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified 32 min ago
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office 16 min ago
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers 50 min ago
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing 22 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos