San Francisco News
Body found near McCovey Cove last month ID'd
SAN FRANCISCO -- A body found in the water near San Francisco's McCovey Cove last month has been identified as that of a missing Los Angeles man, according to the San Francisco medical examiner's office.
The body that was seen floating in the water near Pier 48 on the morning of Nov. 9 is that of 22-year-old Paulo Netto, according to the medical examiner's office.
Netto was visiting San Francisco from Los Angeles and on the night of Oct. 28, he had called family in Brazil and a friend in Los Angeles saying he was in trouble and needed the police to help him.
Police traced those phone calls to the 500 block of Shotwell Street in the city's Mission District.
Netto's sister came up to San Francisco from Los Angeles shortly after the call and filed a missing person's report, but he was not found, police said.
When the body was retrieved from the water last month, police said it was badly decomposed and difficult to identify.
san francisco news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- US approves California's new K-12 testing plan 14 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Lockdown lifted at Monterey Peninsula College
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday