San Francisco News
Teen arrested for fatal shooting in SF robbery gone wrong
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 16-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred during a robbery gone wrong earlier this month in San Francisco, police said Friday.
Police arrested the teenage suspect Thursday on suspicion of murder and attempted robbery for the Dec. 14 fatal shooting. The teen's name is not being released because he is a juvenile, police said.
The shooting, which killed 16-year-old Clifton Chatman, occurred at about 11 p.m. during an attempted robbery in the 500 block of Alemany Boulevard near southbound Interstate Highway 280, according to police.
The robbery victim told police he was surrounded by a group of males.
One suspect demanded the victim's cellphone and one took out a handgun while others rifled through the victim's belongings, police said.
The victim was complying with demands but the armed suspect shot him. However, the shot glanced off the victim's face and struck one of the shooter's alleged accomplices instead, killing him, according to police.
The suspects fled and when officers arrived on the scene, they found the wounded robbery victim and the deceased robbery suspect, police said.
The victim was taken to a hospital and survived his injuries, police said.
The deceased suspect was later identified as Chatman, a San Francisco resident.
The homicide remains under investigation.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the Police Department's homicide detail at (415) 553-1145. Callers can also use an anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or send a tip by text message to TIP411 with "SFPD" in the message.
crime, violence, shooting, guns, SFPD, I-280, san francisco news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 36 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week 10 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos