San Francisco News
SF police seek witnesses in fatal Japantown shooting
SAN FRANCISCO -- Police in San Francisco are searching for witnesses to a shooting near Japantown that left a man dead early Sunday morning, a police spokeswoman said.
At about 1:45 a.m., people were exiting a nightclub in the 1800 block of Post Street, between Fillmore and Webster streets, San Francisco police Sgt. Danielle Newman said.
Police say 36-year-old David Gilford from Modesto was shot and killed while standing on the sidewalk.
He was taken to the hospital with at least one gunshot wound, but did not survive.
No information about a possible suspect was immediately available, Newman said.
Investigators were canvassing the neighborhood searching for witnesses.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the Police Department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or to send a tip by text message to TIP411 with "SFPD" in the message.
crime, shooting, pacific heights, japantown, san francisco news
- Brentwood students facing charges for sexting scandal
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos