San Francisco News
Victim of shooting in SF's Japantown identified
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 36-year-old man who was fatally shot Sunday morning near San Francisco's Japantown has been identified as David Gilford, of Modesto, according to the San Francisco medical examiner's office.
Gilford was in a crowd of people coming out of a nightclub in the 1800 block of Post Street at about 1:45 a.m. when the shooting occurred, San Francisco police Sgt. Danielle Newman said.
Gilford was shot as he stood on the sidewalk, Newman said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
No information about a possible suspect was immediately available, Newman said.
Investigators were canvassing the neighborhood on Sunday in a search for witnesses.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the Police Department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or to send a tip by text message to TIP411 with "SFPD" in the message.
crime, shooting, pacific heights, japantown, san francisco news
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 45 min ago
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars 26 min ago
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12 29 min ago
- Man found fatally shot in Concord 2 min ago
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body 56 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos