San Francisco News
Suspicious fire scorches SF Chinese Consulate door
SAN FRANCISCO -- The Chinese Consulate in San Francisco released a statement early this morning condemning a fire that burned the front door of the consulate building in San Francisco's Lower Pacific Heights neighborhood on Wednesday night as an act of arson.
Upon arrival at the Chinese Consulate at 1450 Laguna St. firefighters found the front door of the structure ablaze, a dispatcher said.
According to a statement released by a Chinese Consulate spokesperson on the consulate's website this morning, a person emerged from a minivan parked in front of the consulate's main entrance at about 9:25 p.m. and poured two buckets of gasoline onto the front door before setting it on fire.
According to a fire dispatcher, the fire was reported at 9:33 p.m. and was brought under control by firefighters at 9:42 p.m.
No injuries were reported and the fire is being investigated as an act of arson, a fire dispatcher said.
According to a Chinese Consulate spokesperson, San Francisco police and fire officials are working with the U.S. State Department's Bureau of Diplomatic Security to investigate the fire.
The consulate spokesperson called the arson attack "a violent crime targeted at the Chinese consular institution in the United States" and urged the U.S. government to provide ample protection for all the consulate's personnel and its facilities.
pacific heights, fire, china, san francisco news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City 2 min ago
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 12 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover 9 min ago
- Consumer Reports puts toothbrushes to the test 11 min ago
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident 8 min ago
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir 28 min ago
- Mi Pueblo grocery stores submit bankruptcy plans
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates...
28 min ago