San Francisco News
Suspicious fire scorches SF Chinese Consulate door
SAN FRANCISCO -- The Chinese Consulate in San Francisco released a statement early this morning condemning a fire that burned the front door of the consulate building in San Francisco's Lower Pacific Heights neighborhood on Wednesday night as an act of arson.
Upon arrival at the Chinese Consulate at 1450 Laguna St. firefighters found the front door of the structure ablaze, a dispatcher said.
According to a statement released by a Chinese Consulate spokesperson on the consulate's website this morning, a person emerged from a minivan parked in front of the consulate's main entrance at about 9:25 p.m. and poured two buckets of gasoline onto the front door before setting it on fire.
According to a fire dispatcher, the fire was reported at 9:33 p.m. and was brought under control by firefighters at 9:42 p.m.
No injuries were reported and the fire is being investigated as an act of arson, a fire dispatcher said.
According to a Chinese Consulate spokesperson, San Francisco police and fire officials are working with the U.S. State Department's Bureau of Diplomatic Security to investigate the fire.
The consulate spokesperson called the arson attack "a violent crime targeted at the Chinese consular institution in the United States" and urged the U.S. government to provide ample protection for all the consulate's personnel and its facilities.
pacific heights, fire, china, san francisco news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found 16 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88 38 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school 30 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- 1 dead, 3 injured in North Richmond shooting 49 min ago
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs 21 min ago
- Thousands protest ahead of Fukushima anniversary 4 min ago
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at...
30 min ago