San Francisco News
Man arrested for fatal pedestrian crash was Uber driver
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A driver with the on-demand car service Uber is out of jail on $300,000 bond following a New Year's Eve crash that killed a 6-year-old girl, and injured her mother and brother. This is not the first time an Uber driver has been involved in a serious crash.
On the corner where she was struck and killed, there's a small memorial to a small child. Six-year-old Sofia Liu, her mother and brother were hit crossing the street in the Tenderloin on New Year's Eve.
Thursday, police identified the driver as 57-year-old Syed Muzzafar. Muzzafar faces charges of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence and failure to yield.
"We believe the pedestrians were far enough in the crosswalk where he should have seen them and yielded to them," San Francisco Police Offc. Gordon Shyy said.
Thursday, Uber said, 'We can confirm that the driver in question was a partner of Uber and that we have deactivated his Uber account."
This is not the first time an Uber driver has been involved in a pedestrian accident. Last march, a geyser occurred after an Uber driver and another car crashed sheering off a fire hydrant.
Attorney Doug Atkinson says his client Claire Fahrbach, a passerby, was hit by that flying hydrant.
"She broke her leg had leg surgery and may have back surgery," Atkinson said.
In September, the California Public Utilities Commission took the first steps in regulating what it calls "transportation network" companies, including requiring background checks for drivers and a minimum $1 million per incident coverage.
But Atkinson says Uber is not stepping up in his case
"There is still a complete denial on behalf of Uber that they are included in the lawsuit properly and that they have any responsibility for the negligence of the driver," he said.
ABC7 News asked Uber to respond to the accusations but the company declined. Though it did say its heart goes out to that victim and to those in the New Year's Eve incident.
pedestrian struck, new year's eve, children, uber, crime, san francisco news, carolyn tyler
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault 24 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday