San Francisco News
Mother of girl killed by driver in San Francisco speaks
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Questions are still being asked about the death of a 6-year-old girl who was hit while crossing the street in San Francisco. And now a fundraising drive has been launched to help the family.
"I feel very sorry for her. I cannot save her life. The driver kill her," said the girl's mother Huan Kuang.
Kuang says she is living a nightmare. She has broken bones, but more than that a broken heart. She and her children were returning from a family dinner on New Year's Eve when a driver hit them as they were in the crosswalk in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood. The accident killed Kuang's daughter Sofia Liu.
"The truck coming to us and slowed down, so I make eye-contact to the driver. He slowed down, really slow; I was thinking he would stop," said Kuang.
Kuang says she has lost her angel. Her 5-year-old son Anthony was also hurt. He doesn't understand his sister is gone.
Parents at the children's school, Sherman Elementary, have started a fundraising drive. Janet Kunze says they wanted to offer more than condolences.
"We've heard that they didn't have any finances to even to plan the memorial or funeral. And were very, very worried about the medical costs and, you know, losing out on working and just the personal cost to them," said Kunze.
Police have arrested 57-year-old Syed Muzzafar, a driver for the on-demand car service Uber. The company has said he was not working at the time of the accident.
San Francisco Supervisor Jane Kim now wants the city to take a closer look at what she calls the gray area of who is responsible.
"We have a new type of business that has only just begun to get regulated at the state level and no clear answers about where there's liability when incidents occur," said Kim.
The fundraising drive has brought in more than $11,000 for the family since it began on Saturday.
Sofia Liu would have turned 7 on Jan. 7, 2014.
To donate to the Sofia Liu Memorial Fund, the Wells Fargo Bank account is: #9153578845
Or you can donate online at YouCaring.com: Sofia Liu Memorial Fund
SFPD, pedestrian struck, new year's eve, children, uber, crime, nob hill, tenderloin, san francisco news, carolyn tyler
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud 5 min ago
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman 5 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont 6 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market 8 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire 5 min ago
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 7 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
25 min ago