San Francisco News
Mother of girl killed by driver in San Francisco speaks
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Questions are still being asked about the death of a 6-year-old girl who was hit while crossing the street in San Francisco. And now a fundraising drive has been launched to help the family.
"I feel very sorry for her. I cannot save her life. The driver kill her," said the girl's mother Huan Kuang.
Kuang says she is living a nightmare. She has broken bones, but more than that a broken heart. She and her children were returning from a family dinner on New Year's Eve when a driver hit them as they were in the crosswalk in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood. The accident killed Kuang's daughter Sofia Liu.
"The truck coming to us and slowed down, so I make eye-contact to the driver. He slowed down, really slow; I was thinking he would stop," said Kuang.
Kuang says she has lost her angel. Her 5-year-old son Anthony was also hurt. He doesn't understand his sister is gone.
Parents at the children's school, Sherman Elementary, have started a fundraising drive. Janet Kunze says they wanted to offer more than condolences.
"We've heard that they didn't have any finances to even to plan the memorial or funeral. And were very, very worried about the medical costs and, you know, losing out on working and just the personal cost to them," said Kunze.
Police have arrested 57-year-old Syed Muzzafar, a driver for the on-demand car service Uber. The company has said he was not working at the time of the accident.
San Francisco Supervisor Jane Kim now wants the city to take a closer look at what she calls the gray area of who is responsible.
"We have a new type of business that has only just begun to get regulated at the state level and no clear answers about where there's liability when incidents occur," said Kim.
The fundraising drive has brought in more than $11,000 for the family since it began on Saturday.
Sofia Liu would have turned 7 on Jan. 7, 2014.
To donate to the Sofia Liu Memorial Fund, the Wells Fargo Bank account is: #9153578845
Or you can donate online at YouCaring.com: Sofia Liu Memorial Fund
SFPD, pedestrian struck, new year's eve, children, uber, crime, nob hill, tenderloin, san francisco news, carolyn tyler
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos