San Francisco News
Man hit, killed crossing Van Ness in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A pedestrian was struck and killed while crossing Van Ness Avenue Tuesday night. There are seven lanes of traffic and police say a man was struck outside the crosswalk on Van Ness, near Grove Street, by a driver who had no time to react. It happened just before 7 p.m.
San Francisco police, with the collision investigation unit, tell ABC7 News the victim was a 38-year-old man. Witnesses told investigators the victim had been in some sort of verbal altercation with another man earlier, but police told us they do not believe that played a role in the victim's death.
What they do know is that the victim started on the west side of Van Ness and attempted to cross the busy street at least twice before stopping on the center median.
"When trying to go from the center median to the east side of Van Ness had made it through, across two lanes and then was struck in the far right-hand lane, the third lane," said San Francisco Police Sgt. Eric Mahoney.
The victim was hit by only one vehicle, a late-model Honda. Police tell us the driver remained on the scene and is cooperating with investigators.
This is the 6th fatal pedestrian accident since Dec. 19, 2013.
Police tell me the driver of the Honda is a woman in her 20s and neither drugs nor alcohol were a factor. The San Francisco Board of Supervisors is holding a joint meeting between a safety committee and its neighborhood watch next week to discuss pedestrian safety issues.
Police are investigating the circumstances of the collision. Anyone with information has been asked to call San Francisco police at (415) 575-4444.
SFPD, pedestrian struck, new year's eve, children, uber, crime, nob hill, tenderloin, san francisco news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 15 min ago
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday