San Francisco News
Off-duty SF police officer shoots motorist during fight
SAN FRANCISCO -- An off-duty officer shot and struck a person after a physical altercation following a minor accident early Sunday morning in San Francisco's Bayview neighborhood, a police spokesman said.
The off-duty officer was involved in a minor crash on Interstate Highway 280 and pulled off the freeway with the other car at about 12:10 a.m., Officer Albie Esparza said.
Esparza said the two cars stopped in the area of Jerrold Avenue and Bayshore Boulevard and got into a physical altercation. The altercation escalated to a point where the female officer discharged her weapon, striking the person in the lower body, Esparza said.
The person, whose age and gender was not immediately available, refused medical attention. The injuries are not considered life-threatening, Esparza said.
Esparza said he did not know if the person had a weapon, or what provoked the off-duty officer to discharge her weapon. Esparza said the shooting is under investigation. The officer will be placed on paid administrative leave during the investigation.
bayview hunters point, I-280, SFPD, crash, shooting, violence, san francisco news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- One dead after house fire in Oakland
- Man arrested for DUI after injury crash in Russian Hill 23 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case 23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos