San Francisco News
Pier 39 celebrates sea lion anniversary
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- It's the 24th anniversary of the sea lions arriving at Pier 39. To celebrate San Francisco's noisiest residents, Aquarium of the Bay has a brand new center dedicated to the boisterous barking mammals.
The Sea Lion Center is located near the dock that the sea mammals invaded 24 years ago and now call home. The naturalist center has educational displays, real pelts that visitors can touch and even a full-size sea lion skeleton.
"It's this amazing opportunity to take the world famous California sea lions that are here at all times of the year, but to really tell the story of how they are connected with the ecosystem, what their history is at Pier 39," spokesperson Carrie Chen said.
There will have special presentations and walking tours all weekend long to celebrate the opening of the center.
animal, Pier 39, san francisco news
- Protesters vacate CCSF building, head to city hall
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building 23 min ago
- Manhunt on for Bay Area ATM robber
- Outkast, The Cure to headline BottleRock in Napa
- Quiznos files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection 5 min ago
- CDC reports rare woman-to-woman HIV transmission
- Overnight stays come to Winchester Mystery House
- Gorilla delivered via rare C-section at San Diego Zoo
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos