San Francisco News
Good Samaritans save tourist who fell into bay in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Three Good Samaritans apparently saved a woman's life after she fell into the bay while taking pictures in San Francisco.
Shortly before 5 p.m. Saturday, authorities say a woman in her 30s, a tourist from Taiwan who does not speak English, was taking pictures on the pier. As she continued to back up, she fell off the pier and into the water.
She was in the water for a short period of time before three people jumped into the water. One of the Good Samaritans is a San Francisco resident who is a former lifeguard from South Carolina who has done a number of water rescues in the ocean on the east coast.
That man was able to grab the woman and brace himself under the pier on the pylons. A net was thrown down and the woman was rescued.
"The girl fell in the water, they called for help, nobody could swim," said the rescuer's brother, Jacob Shiansky. "He was the second one in the water to keep her head up above the water. He had a broken heel, it's broken in 10 places. He's been recovering. I'm really proud of him. I told him he needed to get in there, he has medical experience. And he saved the girl, he's amazing."
The Coast Guard arrived shortly thereafter, as did the San Francisco Fire Department on their watercraft. They helped perform CPR, reviving the woman. She was transported to the hospital and is said to be breathing on her own at this point.
One of the Good Samaritans was also transported to the hospital being checked out as a precaution. The other two are just trying to warm up. All three are expected to be fine.
san francisco bay, tourism, rescue, coast guard, sffd, san francisco news
- 3-alarm fire burning at building near China Basin in SF 1 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Major BART delays due to Balboa Park station incident 8 min ago
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos