San Francisco News
Sneak peek at new Terminal 3 boarding area at SFO
SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (KGO) -- At San Francisco International Airport, some travelers will now have a new gold standard in air travel. Terminal 3's Boarding Area E opens to the public Tuesday. We got a sneak peek!
If you like Terminal 2, you're going to love boarding area E. SFO says this new section of Terminal 3 raises the bar.
Need to plug in your smartphone? There are plenty of outlets for that, 375 to be exact.
SFO's new Terminal 3, Boarding Area E is designed to give travelers everything they want, and more.
"We wanted to provide all of our customers with a first-class experience," SFO Director John L. Martin said. "A uniquely San Francisco, SFO experience."
Boarding Area E opens Tuesday, less than two years after Terminal 2's renovation.
Amenities include an interactive information center, a yoga room, comfy bouloum chairs, and dressing rooms located in the restrooms.
United put $50 million into the $138 million overhaul. The airline says it's all part of its plan to expand service to Asia.
"So we're launching service from San Francisco to Chengdu, China, which is on a 787 Dreamliner," said United Chairman and CEO Jeff Smisek. "And we're launching service from SF to Taipei on a Triple 7, so you'll see more of that growth from us as we take advantage of this powerhouse hub."
In addition to the modern conveniences, Boarding Area E features plenty of art. The highlight is found at the end of the terminal. A light sculpture, called Sky, features 27 metal spheres. Franka Diehnelt and Claudia Reisenberger are the artists who created it.
"Our audience, you know, is the general public," artist Reisenberger said. "It's not just people who are searching out for this experience. But then hopefully, you know, anybody that can view this can take something away from it."
Boarding Are E is just the first phase of Terminal 3's renovation. Phase 2 will be completed in the summer of 2015.
san francisco international airport, art, san francisco news, lilian kim
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 25 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges 43 min ago
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday 56 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
41 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos