San Francisco News
Bay Area postal workers protest in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Bay Area postal workers are protesting in front of a San Francisco Staples store because they're upset about a deal between the office supplies chain and the postal service.
Postal employees are worried about losing their jobs because people can now mail packages and buy stamps at Staples.
This is the first protest in the nation, but postal workers promise there will be more
The pilot program with Staples allows Staples employees, not postal employees, to sell products and offer services people usually have to go to the post office for. Postal officials say it just makes sense to go to where people shop and that nearly half of their transactions take place away from the post office already.
But workers are nervous about what this means for the future. A spokesman for the group said:
"The postal service is doing everything it can to stay in business, this is better for our business and our employees because it allows us to stay viable."
They say the post office is about $5 billion in the red, so it makes sense to use an existing business like Staples that is already staffed to try and sell their product.
This program will not cost any postal workers their jobs but people worry that it will eventually. Another protest is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon in San Jose.
protest, USPS, jobs, san jose, san francisco news, amy hollyfield
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos