San Francisco News
Parade in SF's Chinatown kicks off Lunar New Year celebrations
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Friday made it official -- out with the Year of the Snake and in with the Year of the Horse. Those born in the Year of the Horse are said to be high spirited, loyal, and hard working.
It took a few thousand years of civilized history, a few minutes, and one city block for the snake to yield and the horse to enter.
To kick off the Year of the Horse, a parade with lion dancers and firecrackers made its way through San Francisco's Chinatown neighborhood Friday morning.
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee was among the attendees.
"It's Lunar New Year," Mayor Lee said. "So you'll be looking at the Korean community, the Vietnamese community, the southeast Asian communities are all celebrating the Lunar New Year."
In the New Year's tradition, this is a time for family and for feasting. Inside the world famous Eastern Bakery, owner Orlando Kuan and his wife can help with that. Ask about his moon cake.
"The moon cake is the highest quality Chinese pastries," he said.
The highest in a tasty line-up that includes radish cake, sesame balls, and New Year sponge cake.
The city's official annual Chinese New Year Parade will take place on Feb. 15.
More information about other upcoming Chinese New Year events in San Francisco can be found online at http://www.sanfranciscochinatown.com/events/index.html.
(Bay City News contributed to this report)
chinatown, ed lee, food, san francisco news, wayne freedman
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- Strong winds destroy boats at Oyster Point
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Best methods for brewing coffee at home
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos