San Francisco News
Police searching for suspect after car chase, shooting in SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- Police have swarmed part of San Francisco's Potrero Hill neighborhood to search for a suspect who was shot at by an officer after a car chase Tuesday afternoon, a police spokesman said.
The chase began around noon when officers spotted a stolen Saab and tried to pull it over, Officer Albie Esparza said.
The driver refused to yield and led officers on a brief pursuit, but police called off the chase because it was getting too dangerous, Esparza said.
A short time later, police learned of a collision that had occurred at 19th and Third streets in the city's Dogpatch neighborhood, where the driver of the Saab had tried to squeeze through two cars and gotten jammed, according to Esparza.
When police arrived, one officer drove toward the Saab trying to block the driver in, and at that point the suspect attempted to ram the officer's car, Esparza said.
Esparza said that the officer felt threatened and fired multiple rounds at the suspect. It is not clear whether the suspect was hit by the gunfire, but he was able to accelerate away, police said.
One person in another car suffered minor injuries in the Dogpatch collision and was treated at the scene, Esparza said. No officers were hurt, he said.
Police soon found the Saab abandoned near 25th and Dakota streets and determined that the suspect had fled on foot, Esparza said.
Officers have set up a perimeter around the public housing complex there and are conducting a unit-by-unit search, police said.
Police are advising people to avoid the area.
shooting, crime, guns, violence, SFPD, potrero hill, san francisco news
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child 45 min ago
- Obama hams it up for health care on Funny or Die
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday