San Francisco News
Pedestrian critically injured after being hit by car in SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- A woman was struck by a car and critically injured in San Francisco's Richmond District Thursday afternoon, a police spokesman said.
The 67-year-old woman was struck shortly before 3:25 p.m. at California Street and 10th Avenue, police Sgt. Eric O'Neal said.
Fire department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said the woman was initially awake and alert following the collision, but O'Neal said she was then taken to San Francisco General Hospital and her injuries are considered life-threatening.
The driver of the car that struck her remained at the scene, O'Neal said.
Streets were blocked in the area and San Francisco Municipal Railway's 1-California bus line was affected by the collision, police said.
The collision is the second in San Francisco Thursday involving a pedestrian and one of several in recent weeks. There were 21 pedestrian deaths in the city last year, the most since 2007.
San Francisco city officials have made pedestrian safety a priority in the new year.
Multiple agencies have held hearings on the issue and adopted "Vision Zero," a list of policies recommended by pedestrian and bicyclist advocates who aim to eliminate traffic deaths in San Francisco over the next several years.
Police Chief Greg Suhr said Wednesday that his department has also stepped up enforcement on city streets. He said traffic citations in January were up 43 percent compared to a year ago.
pedestrian struck, sffd, SFPD, richmond district, san francisco news
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing 42 min ago
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Warriors give Oakland High School students 3D printer 40 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
42 min ago